Original Article
 
Gemcitabine and cisplatin in inoperable, loco-regionally advanced and metastatic gallbladder cancer: A study from Northern India cancer institute
Vineet Talwar1, Shubhra Raina2, Varun Goel3, Dinesh C. Doval4
1MD, DM, Senior Consultant & Unit Head, Department of Medical Oncology, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi (India).
2MBBS, Medical Officer, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi (India).
3MD, DNB, Consultant Medical Oncologist, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi (India).
4MD, Senior Consultant & Unit Head, Department of Medical Oncology, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi (India).

Article ID: 100063IJHPDVT2016
doi:10.5348/ijhpd-2016-63-OA-19

Address correspondence to:
Dr. Vineet Talwar
Senior Consultant & Unit Head, Department of Medical Oncology
Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre
Sector- V, Rohini
New Delhi - 110085

Access full text article on other devices

  Access PDF of article on other devices

[HTML Full Text]   [PDF Full Text] [Print This Article]
[Similar article in Pumed] [Similar article in Google Scholar]

How to cite this article
Talwar V, Raina S, Goel V, Doval DC. Gemcitabine and cisplatin in inoperable, loco-regionally advanced and metastatic gallbladder cancer: A study from Northern India cancer institute. Int J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis 2016;6:108–113.


Abstract
Aims: The primary objective of this study was to determine the response rates of the gemcitabine and cisplatin combination chemotherapy in treatment naive patients with inoperable gall bladder cancer. The secondary objectives were to evaluate the toxicity, progression free survival (PFS), and overall survival.
Materials and Methods: Treatment naive patients with histologically proven inoperable gallbladder cancer treated with gemcitabine and cisplatin chemotherapy between March 2010 and December 2014 were included in this retrospective study. The dose of gemcitabine and cisplatin was 1 g/m2 on day 1 and 8, and 75 mg/m2 on day 1, in a 21-day cycle respectively. Computed tomography scan was used for response assessment.
Results: There were 32 men and 59 women with a median age of 52 years (range 30–67 years). Of the 91 patients, 9 (9.9%) patients achieved a complete response and 41 (45.1%) patients achieved a partial response for an overall response rate of 55%. The median number of chemotherapy cycles administered were 6 (range 1–9). The median progression free survival (PFS) was 5.4 months [95% confidence interval (CI) 3.9–7.9 months], with one year survival rate of 34.1%. Common toxicity criteria grade 3 or 4 anemia was seen in 4 (4.4%) and 2 (2.2%) patients respectively. Grade 3 neutropenia and thrombocytopenia was observed in 10 (10.9%) and 9 (9.9%) patients respectively.
Conclusion: The combination of gemcitabine and cisplatin is active in advanced gallbladder carcinoma with mild toxicity.

Keywords: Chemotherapy, Gallbladder cancer, Gemcitabine + Cisplatin


[HTML Full Text]   [PDF Full Text]

Author Contributions:
Vineet Talwar – Substantial contributions to conception and design, Analysis and interpretation of data, Drafting the article, Final approval of the version to be published
Shubhra Raina – Substantial contributions to conception and design, Analysis and interpretation of data, Final approval of the version to be published
Varun Goel – Substantial contributions to conception and design, Analysis and interpretation of data, Final approval of the version to be published
Dinesh C. Doval – Substantial contributions to conception and design, Analysis and interpretation of data, Final approval of the version to be published
Guarantor of submission
The corresponding author is the guarantor of submission.
Source of support
None
Conflict of interest
Authors declare no conflict of interest.
Copyright
© 2016 Vineet Talwar et al. This article is distributed under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution and reproduction in any medium provided the original author(s) and original publisher are properly credited. Please see the copyright policy on the journal website for more information.